4.02.2013

Why I Chose a VBA2C :: Robin

Robin's Birth

What was the reason for your initial Cesarean birth?
I think it was probably the interventions. I was young and I trusted my doctors. My first baby's birth was hurried along with Pitocin, drugs, and breaking of my water. As a result, my baby boy went into distress and I had an emergency Cesarean birth. My second was a scheduled repeat C-section.

Why did you choose a VBAC?
I had two C-sections and felt that I was missing out on the experience of birthing my child, of acting on my own to bring my child into this world. Had the C-sections been truly necessary I'm not sure I would have felt as strongly about this.

What were your fears and concerns (if any)?
Initially, fear of uterine rupture, but I did my research this time.

What was the biggest challenge during pregnancy and then during labor and birth?
I was totally stressed out about having to justify my decision for a VBA2C when I reached the hospital. I was told upfront I would need to sign a waiver when I got there. Choosing a home birth resolved this fear and I was able to enjoy the rest of my pregnancy.

How did you prepare for your VBAC?
Reading books on natural birth, especially by Ina May Gaskin. I did the Hypnobabies home study and daily prenatal yoga exercise. 

How did you find your care provider and were they VBAC supportive? If so- how? If not, did you think they were and they ended up not being so? How did you respond?
I was with Kaiser, so I saw the midwife at my local office. She was pretty supportive, but let me know that not every doctor would be, so it was good that I knew all the facts and would be able to get them across to them. I didn't want to have to do that while I was in labor when I wanted to concentrate of everything going right. I got recommendations for homebirth midwives from local ICAN members and never looked back.

What would you say to a woman who's considering a VBAC? How would you encourage her? 
It was an absolutely life changing and a life affirming experience. I'd recommend a natural birth with LOTS of preparation. It more than paid off.